Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 16:51:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems?

Gary Palmer writes:
 > Karl Denninger wrote in message ID
 > <19970912094231.48481@Jupiter.Mcs.Net>:
 > > Hi foolks,
 > >
 > > Anyone got an idea what this means?
 > >
 > > de1: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 96|256)
 > > de1: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 8|512)
 > > de1: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 1024)
 > > de1: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (switching to store-and-forward
 > > mode
 >
 > According to Matt, this is a problem with the PCI bus on the m/b not
 > being fast enough to handle the data. He says the Natoma is
 > notoriously slow (which is why I saw the messages too)

Actually, the the Natoma is pretty nice.  Under heavy load, its true
that it might not get DMA's done as quickly as a Triton.  But that's
not because the Natoma is slow, rather its because the the Natoma is
fair.  Under heavy load, a Triton will starve the CPU from memory,
whereas a Natama will divide the memory bandwidth up pretty much
equally between the PCI bus and the CPU.  I imagine this would allow
the host to post more transmits & make the card fall further behind..

Drew