Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 23:00:54 GMT
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, terry@lambert.org

At 10:02 pm -0000 25/3/97, Bruce Evans wrote:
>>>This differs from when the system is shut down using reboot(8).  reboot
>>>shuts things down by broadcasting signals of increasing severity
>>>{ SIGTERM, SIGKILL }.  I don't know why init broadcasts SIGHUP...
>>
>>That I can tell you: interactive shells don't respond to SIGTERM. OTOH,
>>init shouldn't send SIGHUP to daemons (ie sessions with no controlling tty)
>>because they mostly take HUP to mean "reread your config".
>
>Init can't know enough about program (mis)behaviour to do this.

If that is true, Terry is right and something is broken.

>The slattach daemon has a controlling tty...

Only until it calls daemon() immediately after cracking its args.

>... but shouldn't be sent a SIGHUP, since that
>tells it to redial.

Which is (close to) where we came in.

>I think ignoring SIGTERM is braindamaged.

AFAIK, interactive shells have always done so (since V7 at least). Bear in
mind that SIGHUP originated historically as a (hardware) indication that
carrier had dropped because the caller had Hung UP, whereas TERM has always
been a pure software signal.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK