Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:49:30 -0600
From:      Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NetBSD vs. FreeBSD?

> probably a lot like FreeBSD 2.2.5 -- in particular, they don't have
> any support for SMP (that doesn't result in the box crashing a few
> minutes later ;-), and what SMP work is being done is of course
> exclusively for x86.

Actually I believe they are working on it for their alpha port
and possibly the sparc64 port, in addition to x86.

> 	Is NetBSD really all this bad?  Have I missed something
> fundamental?  Is there anyone on this list that's used both recent
> versions of NetBSD and FreeBSD on previous generation single CPU
> hardware and can give me a reasonably fair comparison and contrast?

In my experience, it is NOT that bad.  In fact, I have always been
quite pleased when using it.  They have recently integrated their
UBC work (in NetBSD-current) and have a really cool /etc/rc setup.

--
Nathan Ahlstrom / nrahlstr@winternet.com / nra@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x67BC9D19