Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:02:52 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Joonas Malminen <joonas@sci.fi>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   GUS PnP Pro and FreeBSD 2.2.1

OK, I compiled kernel with ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp17.tar.gz,
and i got sound working in some ways. The first problem I met was that,
when i played some audio ae. with mpg123, or any other player, the sound
started to crackle after playing about 3 mins of audio. The crackling
lasted about 10 seconds and after that the sound were normal again. I
tried this hardware with DOS player and it worked well. So the problem is
in FreeBSD.

After that I disappointed to FreeBSD's audio system and tried the OSS 3.8
and it didn't work as I expected neither. The audio was low quality and
other problems, but with OSS the sound weren't crackling.

So now I'm asking, that has anyone gotten Gus PnP Pro working with FreeBSD
2.2.1 ? And what are the magic tricks to do it ? I can buy OSS 3.x, if I
can get GUS working with that, but last time I tried, I didn't, I even
tried to use their technical support, with no results.

If (and when) I left something important told, please ask me.

Thanks for your help.

  Joonas Malminen