Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:47:32 +1000
From:      Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache 2.2 with mod_php5.1.5 problem

up@3.am wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I just installed Apache/2.2.3 and php_5.1.5 (from ports) on a server
>that's going to replace much older versions of both.  It works for the
>most part, except users with phpMyAdmin aren't.  The following error is
>occuring:
>
>Fatal error: Call to undefined function preg_match() in
>
>/home/servers/sitename/source/phpMyAdminStories/libraries/defines.lib.php
>on line 36
>
>I did a google on it, and found a recommendation to install
>/var/db/ports/php5-extensions.  I attempted that, and the problems began:
>
>1st attempt: got a nice color screen giving me checkbox options. I check
>everything I could worry about wanting some day, but if fails trying to
>install something for a calender extension.  Ok, I figure I can do
>without.
>
>2nd attempt: even after a "make clean" and a "make distclean" the port
>attempted to build it without giving me that screen, and it eventually
>stops with a complaint that php5 itself is already installed and asks me
>to deinstall and reinstall it.  It also seems to think that an older
>version of php5 is installed (5.1.4 instead of 5.1.5), even though I had
>properly deinstalled the old one, cleaned, etc.
>
>Do I have to deinstall php_5.1.5 and all of the modules for it then
>install these extensions, THEN install php5 ??
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>James Smallacombe		      PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor

Do this
Nuke your whole php install using: pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/php*
Nuke your already chosen port options on php: rm -rf  /var/db/ports/php*
Place "BATCH=yes" into /etc/make.conf (you may need to create this file)
This should choose all the options you need which are normally default.
Then install phpmyadmin directly. Don't install the php5 first, this way
phpmyadmin will get the dependencies it needs
portupgrade -N /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin

Plan B
If this doesn't work do a -kfa in portupagrade (which deliberately
stands for "Kick Fckin Ass", like like the old Doom cheats)
portupgrade -Nkfa /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin
And everything should be good.

Also note that "a" stands for everything so it might be safer to first
try it without it in the plan B option and try it as a plan C option.

Regards,
Mike