Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 20:15:04 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT or AIT?

Johann Visagie writes:
> Pardon the slightly off-topic post...
>
> For high capacity tape backups under FreeBSD, are there any particular
> reasons to prefer either DLT or AIT technology?
>
> I'm currently evaluating a Seagate Sidewinder 50 AIT drive, and I must say it
> seems to perform like a charm...

I've been very happy over the years with Seagate/Conner/Archive tape
drives (but not Conner HD's). Don't have a AIT. Yet.

If the AIT drive will use (in addition to the AIT tapes) the very common
cheap 8mm digital tapes then the AIT would be an easy choice for me over
the DLT. There are lots of backup jobs that "only" require 5G ($6 tape)
that might not be done if you had to dig for a $40 tape.