Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2012 12:43:24 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to submit a new port along with its distfile?

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 09:19:42 -0800
Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
> wrote:
> > If anyone's interested, the package is call mkreadmes-1.0. =A0It's a C
> > language version of the port's collection's "make readmes" (or, if
> > you will, the perl "make_readmes" script under the Tools
> > directory). =A0I wrote this because I was very dissatisfied with the
> > speed of rebuilding the README.html files after I update my ports
> > tree. =A0This new tool I've written cuts the time down to practically
> > nothing. =A0I can now rebuild all the README.html files for the
> > entire ports tree in less than 30 seconds. =A0Depending on system
> > load, I've actually seen it run in as little as @ 15 seconds.
> >
> > If you want to try it before it becomes an official port, it's
> > already available on Sourceforge right now. =A0It should compile and
> > install very easily on any FreeBSD system, even without the port
> > framework wrapper.
> >
> > The source archive is available at:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkreadmes/files/mkreadmes-1.0.tar.bz2/d=
ownload

> > A README file is included in the distribution. =A0Online help is also
> > available via the "-h" command line option.
> >
> > Please don't hesitate to send me any questions, comments,
> > suggestions, bug reports, etc.
>=20
> Conrad,
>=20
> Thanks so much for mkreadmes. It works as advertised and this is  the
> first time in years that I have built all of the READMEs because it
> just took way, way too long to do so before mkreadmes.

Thank you very much for the kind words.  That's very nice to hear.
Yes, I'm quite pleased myself with how the program turned out.
Honestly, though, I never expected the performance difference to be
nearly as dramatic as it turned out to be.  :-)

Apparently, though, there's a latent bug in the program that only crops
up under certain conditions.  Just discovered it this morning.  Working
on a fix.  Also, Marco Steinbach has reported that the program won't
run in a jail environment, due to the attempt to elevate the
program's priority setting.

Note to hackers: what is the recommended method for determining if a
process is running in a jail?  I've been thinking of using sysctl(),
but wondering if there's a better way.

Getting to work on it today. Hope to have a new version to submit very
soon.

Conrad

--=20
Conrad J. Sabatier