Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:17:30 +0200
From:      Johannes Angeldorff <johem@franzenfalk.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bandwidth problems with natd/ipfw

Hi folks,

I have a FreeBSD gateway running on FreeBSD 4.5, for connection of my
home LAN to an ADSL line. One NIC in the gateway is connected to the
ADSL line and the other NIC is connected to a switch with my LAN
computers (Macs and PCs). The software I use is natd and ipfw (with
only simple rules). The box is a P200 MMX.

The _problem_ is that when I download a file on a box connected to
the LAN, the d/l speed is limited to ca 40-70 Kb/sec, even though the
ADSL allows 2.5 Mbit/s. (I also get sudden 2-3 second stops in the
download.)

When I connect the LAN machines directly to the ADSL line, I get ca
250 Kb/second d/l speed on the same downloads... The same thing goes
for the gateway FreeBSD machine... Always very good speed (250
Kb/sec). So the problem is only the LAN boxes.

Does anyone know if I should tweak the natd/ipfw settign to get around this?

Thanks
Smartnet Sverige AB

Johannes Angeldorff