Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:12:09 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        David de Jong <dd026@energex.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory Limits with Compaq

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 at 16:52 SAST, David de Jong wrote:

> I have a compaq Armada 1598DT which I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6 on. The
> machine has been loaded with 98M of memory.
>
> Unfortunately,the kernel will not recognise the full extent of the
> memory on this PC. Evidence for this is the high swap rate, top reports
> a low memory inactive level, the info from the boot record (obtained
> from dmesg) is as follows:-
> real memory  = 16777216 (16384K bytes)
> avail memory = 14680064 (14336K bytes)

In addition to all the other suggestions, I can only offer this:  Some of the
older Compaqs had the notorious "memory hole" at 16MB.  You should be able to
switch this off in the BIOS - you might need to use the DOS-based software
you get with the machine to do so.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559