Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 22:24:56 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [FreeBSD]" <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Allix Primus <alleve@idirect.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD, NetBSD vs FreeBSD ?

Allix Primus wrote:

> I'm new to freebsd and was just wondering what is the difference between
> freebsd , netbsd and openbsd ? Is there an advantage to using one over the
> other ?

This isn't really a topic for -questions.  I suggest you follow
-advocacy for a while, and maybe start a thread (or follow one) on
-chat, lest ye restart the proverbial OS flamewar in -questions :-)

The short answer to your question is there IS no "better" BSD,
necessarily.  Depending on your application, each will have its
benefits.  Since you are posting this question on a FreeBSD mailing
list, you will understandably receive a response biased heavily toward
the same.  However, most experienced posters here have tried more than
one flavour, and may be able to share a few of their experiences.  My
advice to you would be to test each.

I'm replying to -questions in case you don't follow -chat.  Please send
any replies to this thread there.

--

  Ryan Thompson
  VP Technical/Accounts