Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:09:25 +0200
From:      Eric MASSON <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NE2000 clone pccard setup

Hello everyone here,

I plan to buy a NIC pccard ("Trust" Brand). It claims to be NE2000
clone. This morninq, I went to the shop and plugged it into my TP390 and
then fired up Bsd. Card wasn't recognised so I made a new entry in
pccard.conf, matching the card parameters, shown below :

# PCCARD configuration file
#
# # $Id: pccard.conf,v 1.0 1999/07/04 21:36:00 emss

# Generally available IO ports
io      0x240-0x360
# Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
irq     10 11 13
# Available memory slots
memory  0xd4000  96k

# Trust Ethernet PC-CARD
card "IC-CARD+" "IC-CARD+"
        config 0x20 "ed0" ? 0x10
        insert /etc/pccard_ether ed0 link0 -link1
        remove /sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete

After that, i tried pccard -d and I had the messages below :

/kernel: PC-Card VLSI 82C146 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
/kernel: pcic: controller irq 9
/kernel: Initializing PC-card drivers: sio
/kernel: Card inserted, slot 0
pccardd[62]: driver allocation failed for IC-CARD+
pccardd[62]: pccardd started

The dumpcis of this card is :

Configuration data for card in slot 0
Tuple #1, code = 0x1 (Common memory descriptor), length = 3
    000:  d1 0a ff
        Common memory device information:
                Device number 1, type Function specific, WPS = OFF
                Speed = 250nS, Memory block size = 8Kb, 2 units
Tuple #2, code = 0x1c (Other conditions for common memory), length = 4
    000:  01 d1 0a ff
        (MWAIT)
Tuple #3, code = 0x17 (Attribute memory descriptor), length = 3
    000:  41 00 ff
        Attribute memory device information:
                Device number 1, type EEPROM, WPS = OFF
                Speed = 250nS, Memory block size = 512b, 1 units
Tuple #4, code = 0x20 (Manufacturer ID), length = 4
    000:  49 01 1b 02
        PCMCIA ID = 0x149, OEM ID = 0x21b
Tuple #5, code = 0x21 (Functional ID), length = 2
    000:  06 01
        Network/LAN adapter - POST initialize
Tuple #6, code = 0x15 (Version 1 info), length = 38
    000:  04 01 49 43 2d 43 41 52 44 2b 00 49 43 2d 43 41
    010:  52 44 2b 00 31 31 38 42 36 36 30 33 00 ff 00 00
    020:  00 00 00 00 00 00
        Version = 4.1, Manuf = [IC-CARD+],card vers = [IC-CARD+]
        Addit. info = [118B6603],[ÿ]
Tuple #7, code = 0x1a (Configuration map), length = 5
    000:  01 20 00 04 0b
        Reg len = 2, config register addr = 0x400, last config = 0x20
        Registers: XX-X----
Tuple #8, code = 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 7
    000:  e0 81 18 45 30 fc be
        Config index = 0x20(default)
        Interface byte = 0x81 (I/O)  wait signal supported
        Card decodes 5 address lines, limited 8/16 Bit I/O
                IRQ modes:  Pulse
                IRQ level = 5
Tuple #9, code = 0x14 (No link), length = 0
Tuple #10, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
2 slots found

The kernel configuration is :

# THINKPAD -- Thinkpad 390 avec disque IDE
# Cree le 12/05/1999
#

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I686_CPU"
ident           THINKPAD
maxusers        32

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep
this!]
options         NFS_NOSERVER            #Disable the NFS server code
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor

config          kernel  root on wd0

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM

controller      atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD tty
device          atkbd0  at isa? tty irq 1
device          psm0    at isa? tty irq 12

device          vga0    at isa? port ? conflicts

pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   bpfilter 1
pseudo-device   splash

device          sc0     at isa? tty

device          npx0    at isa? port IO_NPX irq 13

device          apm0    at isa? disable flags 0x31 # Advanced Power
Management

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
#device         sio2    at isa? port? tty

device          ppc0    at isa? port? net irq 7
controller      ppbus0
device          nlpt0   at ppbus?

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   tun     1
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG

device          pcm0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x11

controller      card0
device          pcic0 at card?
device          pcic1 at card?

options         PCIC_RESUME_RESET

options         POWERFAIL_NMI   # make it beep instead of panicing

In the pccard.conf, I created entry for this card following the rules
below :
- brand & version match dumpcis information
- index in config line match config index in dumpcis information
- driver matches claimed pccard compatibility (ed0 for NE2000)

I think there's a mess in this config entry but don't know where

Is there a primer or a Howto upon pccards in FBSD, man pccardd & man
pccard.conf are not too verbose (I think so).

TIA

Eric MASSON

Ps : I'm running FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #0: Wed Jul 14