Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:49:10 -0700
From:      Tony Rini - Network Operations <tony@thegrid.net>
To:        FreeBSD <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.0 only mounts / on boot

I installed 4.0-RELEASE on a dual pII 333 Dell box with 3 scsi drives. 1
on motherboard adaptec scsi controller carrying 2 9GB drives and cdrom
and a pci adaptec 2940 carrying a 4GB drive and a dat drive. The OS is
on the 4GB drive and has been sliced up into /, /usr, /etc, /var.

Install seems to have gone ok but when I exit out of the
/stand/sysinstall the machine reboots, when it comes back up the only
file system mounted is /. I have to manually mount the other file
systems then everything seems ok.

Everything looks good in /etc/fstab and after i mount mount /etc and run
mount -a all my filesystems get mounted. I've reformatted the drives and
re-installed 3 times this week (1x from cdrom and 2x from ftp). I
thought that this may have been a disk issue.

What file tells the kernel to mount the other filesystems? What files
should I start looking at? The /boot/defualts/loader.conf knows to look
at the / partition for a kernel, .... what happens next?

On a Side note:
I made a successful install on a similar dell pII box yesterday using
the same kern.flp and mfsroot.flp that i used with the broken box. That
machine is up and running very smoothly.

Tony Rini