Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:18:09 -0700
From:      Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
To:        Craig Cowen <craig@allmaui.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good practice for /tmp

--==_Exmh_-1536011101P

I don't know why FreeBSD doesn't do this (in other words, if this was
a deliberate decision, I don't know what points were debated in
coming to a decision), but I could see a problem where filling /tmp
could run you out of swap.  This is why I like /tmp on its own filesystem
where it can't interfere with anything else....I find that the
features of an mfs /tmp (high performance, self-cleaning, isolated
from other filesystems) match how I like to run my world.

		--eli

> Solaris mounts it's swap on /tmp while FBSD does not make this available.
> Why not use the Solaris way of doing things?
>
> Eli Dart wrote:

> > >     'man tuning' (with a recent -stable).  In it I talk about /tmp vs
> > >     /var/tmp and why it doesn't make sense to keep them separate any more
 .
> > >     And these days people generally do not rm -rf /tmp at boot either.
> >
> > Using an mfs /tmp has the side effect of clearing /tmp at boot.
> >
> >                 --eli
> >

> > >                                               -Matt

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

> >    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

--==_Exmh_-1536011101P

--==_Exmh_-1536011101P--