Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 13:23:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        lcozzens@gateway.us.sidwell.edu (Lisa Cozzens)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Cirrus card

Lisa Cozzens stands accused of saying:

> I'm trying to help a colleague set up FreeBSD on a Pentium-90 with 50
> megs of RAM.  We're having problems getting the Cirrus video card to work
> properly.  When FreeBSD boots with the card in, the boot prompt (whereyou
> can specify which kernel/hard drive to boot from) comes up fine, but then
> weird things start happening.  It seems like every second or third
> character is replaced by a space, so screens look something like this:
> f a  d  s  c  e  h  a
> etc., etc.  When we put in a different card (we've tried a Trident 8900
> and a "Windows Accelerator" card, model #1580HC, both with 1MB of
> memory), everything works fine.

Ok; start by taking the machine back to 16M of memory - some of those Cirrus
cards have a linear memory aperture over the 16M mark, and it's
possible this is interfering with the card.  It's also possible that
your VLB setup is too fast - if you can, add a waitstate to the bus.
(It may be a jumper marked <33MHz/>33MHz...)

> We tried booting with the -c flag, and we got into the config program
> just fine.  Then, when we typed ?, the text was illegible (like the text
> above) but the config> prompt was perfectly legible, as was anything we
> typed at it.  Because the text was illegible, we couldn't get any
> information from that program.

The text above comes out rather fast, so I suspect you may have a timing
thing happening - it's hard to tell.

> The Cirrus card is labeled CL-GD5426-80QC-A and the manual says that it's
> a VL Bus card based on the Cirrus Logic GD5426 graphic VGA chip (thus the
> labeling :).  The card is using IRQ 9; nothing in the startup messages
> mentions any conflict with that IRQ.  The card has 1 MB of memory.

You'll want to disable IRQ 9 - I don't think this is your problem, but if you
have anything else in the system on either IRQ2 or IRQ9 you're guaranteed
grief from it.

> I checked the handbook, the faq, and systems.faq but I couldn't find any
> mention of Cirrus cards.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place(s)?

The 5426 is a really cheezy card - if you're planning on doing X on this
machine, do yourself a favour and buy an S3-based card like a Diamond Stealth
64 DRAM (Make sure it's an -864, not a -764) or a number-9 or similar.

> Lisa Cozzens

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[