Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:57:36 -0500
From:      Bart Kus <bsd@shell-server.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio modification

On Sunday 30 September 2001 16:18, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Yes, you'll have to poll, sorry...

	Ick.  How hard would it be to pull off one of the following:

1) Give time_pps_fetch() the ability to become a blocking call
2) Modify the PPS API slightly, by allowing time_pps_fetch() to return a list
of events, rather than just 1 event (would need facility to set max # of
events for kernel to record - max backlog)

	I can't think of any other way of dealing with the problem of remote
controls under freebsd, other than out-right writing something new tailored
for the problem.  I assume #1 is hard, since it's not implemented, and is
proposed in the PPS API.  #2 would be an a-ok solution too, since I could
poll time_pps_fetch() 10 times/sec or something and still give fairly
real-time response to remote control button presses.

		--Bart