Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:03:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Threads stuff

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Sure- that's kernel stuff, but it doesn't really work much in the area I
> would be interested, namely making interrupt and other kernel threads
> (e.g., for CAM device inventory management) for all drivers that could use
> them (an interrupt thread per interrupt entry point is not unreasonable),
> replacing all spl type locking with mutex_init (based on device interrupt
> levels) and mutex_enter/mutex_exit usages, perhaps replacing sleep/wakeup
> which is a per-process thingie with cv_wait/cv_signal.. you know, that
> kinda low level kernel I/O stuff- more nuts and bolts and less
> theoretical. When the discussion gets around to these things and policies
> about whether SMP safe and SMP-unsafe drivers can coexist, then I'll be
> more than happy to waste everyone's time with my opinions.

But it's all inter-related.. The KSE allocator would be the same
KSE allocator that would be used to innitially allocate KSEs for
interrupt handling. (My secret agenda starts to show). My aim is to
get the BSDI "lazily evaluated threads" interrupt scheme. however the
threads they would be evaluating to would be the same KSEs that would
be allocated to the User thread scheme..

"A thread is a thread is a thread"

Believe me my heart is in the "low level more nuts and bolts". I just see
a convergence of needs here.

We certainly need someone to help with the KSEs and specifically the Mutexy
stuff. That should be quite applicable to both ends..

Julian