Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:23:17 +0000
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network Driver not being probed during boot

Hi,

Can any one tell me if they are using the "de" network interface card and if
it is still working with a 4.7 kernel. I built a kernel approx 50 days ago and
all was fine. Any kernel I build now with the latest supped sources and the
network card is not being probed during boot. The card works fine if I boot a
4.4 Generic kernel.

Has the "de" NIC been depreciated in favour of another driver if so what. I
can find nothing in the UPDATING file in /usr/src. A friend informs me that
the "de" driver source has not been touched since some time in 2000, but
something has changed. I am using the same kernel configuration file that I
have used on this box for almost a year now and it normally get an upgrade
every couple of months.

If any further information is required I'd be pleased to supply.

Thanks for your time and consideration of this problem

David.