Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 17:18:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /dev/ptmx equivalent for Linux ABI?

Hello,

> > It would also be essential for running for example a Linux OpenSSH daemon
> > in a jail with Linux binaries. That would be a very good thing... :)
> Why would that be a good thing? Run the FreeBSD OpenSSH in a jail.
If you run a complete Linux distribution in a FreeBSD jail you get the
advantage of having multiple virtual machines running FreeBSD and Linux
on the same machine. With this capability you can give your customer a
virtual Linux box with a virtual IP, and you can give him the ability to
upgrade and maintain his own "box" in the way he likes.

Of course I could install a FreeBSD OpenSSH but this would require FreeBSD
libraries, config files, etc in a Linux jail. How would the customer
update that daemon?

With a Linux distrib in the jail it is very easy and convenient.

That's why I (and many others) would be glad to run a Linux OpenSSH (and
of course not just that) daemon in a FreeBSD jail.