Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 09:54:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        miker@scifair.acadiau.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copying many files at once

What do the tails of the file names look like?  Numbers? letters?
Maybe break it into groups by the character after page?  I use csh.
Maybe you can break it up into 1/60th with this.

> foreach i ( a b c d e f g h i j 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 )
>   mv ../page${i}* .
> end
> foreach i ( A B C D E F G H I J )                   )
>   mv ../page${i}* . >& /dev/null
> end

You may get a lot of 'No such file or directory' messages, but, ...
Maybe run the output of mv to a file or /dev/null with >&.