Date:      Fri, 18 May 2012 12:56:18 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ermal_Lu=E7i?= <eri@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF "synproxy state" doesn't work on CARP IPs

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Adam Strohl
<adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that when I use "synproxy state" on a rule and a connection
> comes in to an IP on a CARP interface the connection opens but never gets
> passed on to the process as it should.
>
> For example:
>
> pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port ssh flags S/SA synproxy
> state
>
> Will work fine if I come in to a non-CARP IP. =A0The connection is accept=
ed
> and then brokered to SSHd.
>
> However on the same machine with the same rule if I come in to a CARP'd I=
> it connects but hangs (not passed on to SSHd).
>
> If I remove the "synproxy state" portion the CARP test case works.
>
> I've done a bunch of flipping and testing and it seems that CARP IP + PF
> rule with "synproxy state" doesn't work -- the connection will be accepte=
> but not passed on like it should.
>
> Is this known behaviour? =A0Is there a work around? =A0Anything else anyo=
ne
> wants to know?

Yeah its known behaviour though i am not sure there is a PR related to it.
I might have a solution but not sure when i can produce a patch for this.

Which FreeBSD version are you on, i thought that with carp(4)
rearangment of not using ifnets this solved itself?

> I've noticed this too: the physical interface seems to "include" the CARP
> interfaces associated with it. =A0That above rule I pasted applies to the=
 CARP