Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 13:12:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Interesting NFS problem with -current

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> We're worried about media changes, right?  Ones that don't involve
> remounting the same media?

Yup.
> There's supposed to be a unique disk ID generated from the manufacturer
> and a manufacturer ID for that.
>
> In practice, this almost never happens.  Ask Jordan why.  8-).

:-/ It won't help for other removable media either (e.g. ZIP drives),
and i guess (without looking into it) that the current sd driver
doesn't handle this case very gracefully at all.

> I think the MD5 checksum is probably the best mechanism.

Yup.  Or some other CRC mechanism, does somebody know whether there's
already something available in the kernel?

> I'd use the root directory blocks, however, which means generating
> it at mount time.  There's no guarantee that there will even be data
> other than a potentially non-unique header at the front of the disk.

The root directory, or the media descriptor (or whatever it is
actually named; i mean the bytes starting at 0x8000).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/