Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:57:42 +0100
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Mikkel Christensen <mikkel@talkactive.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suexec with Apache 1.3.29

Mikkel Christensen wrote:

>On Thursday 29 April 2004 07:37, you wrote:

>>If you want to enable the suEXEC mechanism for the first time and an
>>Apache server is already running you must kill and restart Apache.
>>Restarting it with a simple HUP or USR1 signal will not be enough.

>Now i tried killing apache using "killall -9 httpd" and the start it again with "apachectl start".
>Now for the first time "[notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: //path/to/suexec/)" is printet to the error log.
>
>But this leads to another problem. When executing the hellow-world script under another username execution is refused.
>The error "Premature end of script headers:" is printed to the error-log.
>This error doen't show if I run the script as the www-user.
>Do you have any idea of what is wrong?

That sounds promising, suexec is now functioning. Although it's
annoyingly vague, that's a common error from perl cgi scripts.

It sounds permissions-related. Try running the script on the command
line as the user you want the apache host to run as, and see whether it
gives a more meaningful error. My first thought is that the suexec user
doesn't have execute permissions on the script, or on the directory that
contains it.

PWR.