Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:16:11 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        tom@uniserve.com, dnelson@emsphone.com, bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 03:05:58AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > That's not really the point of the delay.  The point of the "bus settle"
> > delay is to allow devices to recover from the bus reset that we send at
> > boot.  As Justin pointed out, modern devices take a relatively short period
> > of time to do this (100ms or so), but older devices may take longer.
>
> Uh, so why are we sending a reset?  Is it merely to allow us to wait?
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

For 1542s you can shut off the BIOS entirely and thus not get a POST reset
(There is no post in that case).

I am unaware of a way to do this for PCI adapters.

I understand the need for *ONE* SCSI reset as part of the boot sequence.
But I fail to understand why we have to send one if the adapter is of a type
where you *must* have already sent one (ie: AHA2940)

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.