Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:02:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: deadlock with softupdates ?

:
:We have a newserver running here, which freezes
:every 2-3 days. Break into db is still possible.
:
:It is a STABLE 4.4 machine, with new kernel.

    Yahoo noticed a deadlock in the vnode recycling code.  If your machine
    below is hitting the kern.maxvnodes limit it could be the same thing.
    The way to tell is to generate a kernel core along with the debug
    version of the kernel binary (/usr/src/sys/compile/<KERNEL>/kernel.debug),
    and backtrace each locked-up process to see if any of them are going
    through the recycle code.

    Yahoo has a fix for that particular problem that they and I are testing.

						-Matt

:NEWS # mount
:/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
:/dev/da0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
:/dev/da1s1e on /news (ufs, local, soft-updates)
:/dev/da2s1e on /news/spool/overview (ufs, local, soft-updates)
:procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
:/dev/twed0s1e on /news/spool/articles/1 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
:/dev/twed1s1e on /news/spool/articles/2 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
:
:The latter two filesystems have 10 big files with the cyclic news
:filesystem on them. So we have a filesystem on a filesystem.