Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 03:26:59 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        grobin@accessv.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something is very wrong. Memory leak?

>> options "NMBCLUSTERS=<n>"
>>
>>    ...where <n> is something like 4000. I would suggest that you do both
>> of these - set maxusers to at least 64, and NMBCLUSTERS to 4000.
>>

>I have NMBCLUSTERS set to 4096 and maxuses set to 500. Do I have to have
>NMBCLUSTERS=4096 in quotation marks?

   Depends on the version of FreeBSD. For recent versions, quotes aren't
needed.

> This is what I have right now.
>
>machine         "i386"
>#cpu            "I386_CPU"
>#cpu            "I486_CPU"
>cpu             "I586_CPU"
>#cpu            "I686_CPU"
>ident           "DATAIS1"
>maxusers        500
>
>options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096   #mbuf clusters
>options         CHILD_MAX=1000     #Max # child processes
>options         OPEN_MAX=1000      #Max fds
>
>I based these setting on the Apache document _Running a High-Performance
>Web Server for BSD_.

   maxusers is probably a bit high; going over 300 might cause problems
with running out of kernel VM, but I don't think this is your problem.
While the system is running, I suggest that you periodically monitor the
output of "netstat -m" and make sure that the second number in "mbuf
clusters in use" doesn't exceed 3/4ths of what you have NMBCLUSTERS set
to.

-DG

David Greenman