Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 07:10:13 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   D-Link Ethernet card DFE-500TX works fine under 2.2.5-R

     Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

     I am writing to say that the D-Link DFE-500TX works *fine* under
     FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE.

     This card is an auto negotiating 10/100 UTP device that uses the DEC
     DC 21240 chipset.

     I replaced AMD PCNet device NICs (IBM badged, detected by the lnc
     driver) with these and have had good results.

     The only slightly adverse observation I have about this product - and
     it may well be the drivers fault - is that if the hub goes away (eg
     power off) the device becomes unusable and I recover from this with
     ifconfig de0 down ifconfig de0 up etc.

     This behaviour seems horribly like Token Ring. BTW I am very pleased
     with the FreeBSD token ring effort, but you don't really want to live
     with token ring networks unless you like spending hours dealing with
     beaconing ... hosts that won't insert into the Token Ring etc etc.

     Thank you,

     Yours sincerely.