Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 20:41:30 -0600
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sio overflows...

Ok, this is really getting to be a problem now...

When using Zmodem to send a file to a remote system (along with the lsz
program), it appears that there is a serious buffer overflow on the
serial port.

Here's a typical situation:

- OS: FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE
- minicom (with lsz -- version of lsz makes no difference)
- modem is internal USR Sportster 33.6.  tried initializing port
  at various speeds, makes no difference.  Has a 16550A UART.
- minicom is setup to use the callout device /dev/cuaa1

I try to do a Zmodem upload, and the cps rate will shoot up to
about 10000 or so, then drop to about 100, then repeat.  This will
send about 1K worth of the file, then it backs up halfway, then
tries again.  It will continue to do this until either a) the file
finishes, b) I abort the transfer, c) too many errors cause the
transfer to abort itself.

Most of the time, though not always, I see the following from syslog:

Nov 21 00:04:44 drwho /kernel: sio1: 211 more tty-level buffer overflows
(total 5293)

Note: this ONLY seems to happen when SENDING (not receiving) files using
Zmodem.  My PPP connection is fine.  My Zmodem RECEIVE is fine.

This is getting to be a serious problem for me, since I need to upload
files using Zmodem from time to time.  I know others have complained of
this, and I've yet to find an answer from ANYONE.

I should point out that this same machine, with the EXACT same hardware,
ran Linux 2.0.x for about a year and NEVER had this problem.  So I'm
convinced that I don't have buggy hardware...

If anything, the problem probably concerns /sys/i386/isa/sio.c, but
my kernel hacking skills aren't adequate to handle this one.

Is anyone working on this?  Does anyone have an answer?  I'd appreciate
whatever help I can get (and I'm sure many others agree).

Thanks.

--
drwho @ xnet.com, BOFH  --  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.