Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 03:39:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Derek Flowers <djflow@portwwwbus.tc.cc.va.us>
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support <software@kew.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Binary package updates, etc.

I've done some quick and dirty work on binary package updates and would
like some comments on what I've got going, where to go in the future, etc.

The files are located at http://portwwwbus.tc.cc.va.us/~djflow/pkginfo

Read the README file first to get an idea of what is happening.

Basically, I just took the binary distribution off the 2.2.5-RELEASE cd
and created a skeleton to get it to work with pkg_add.  In theory, any
binary updates would work with the same skeleton.

There is still the problem with digital signatures and what to do about
uninstalls, reverts, etc. but I would like some input before going too
far.

To create the actual package, download all the files and run the makepkg
script.  The package it creates is named "bin-2.2.5_RELEASE.pkg".  If you
plan to experiment with the package, be sure to change the target
directory in the makepkg script otherwise IT WILL WIPE OUT YOUR CURRENT
BINARY DISTRIBUTION.

Let me know what you think.

Derek Flowers
djflow@erols.com