Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 16:07:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS under 3.0

I mentioned before that I had a 3.0 machine locking up/panic'ing a lot.

I wa sgetting lots of 'nfsd send error 55's, after some digging, that seems
to be 'no buffer space available'.

I don't know if NMBCLUSTERS= even has anything to do with buffering for nfs
writes, but bumping that way up fixed my problem. I still get the very rare
error 55, but the machine has stayed up 5 days now.

One problem was that during heavy nfs traffic, the machine would keep
running, but any attempt to read/write to a nfs file/directory would hang
the process. I'm not sure what to look at when that happens, but while it
was going on, i did a netstat -m.

1028 mbufs in use:
	711 mbufs allocated to data
	304 mbufs allocated to packet headers
	11 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
	2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
554/1392 mbuf clusters in use
2912 Kbytes allocated to network (42% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

I'm using 3c509B's in all my machines. I only get nfsd send error 55's on
both the machines when the one machine running 3.0 is active.

Kevin