Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:53:43 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some strangeness with CARP

Hello.

I've set up a network with CARP and I think I'm seeing something strange.

What follows is a simplified setup (the real one involves lagg and vlan,
but this should not matter).

I have a Zyxel managed switch,
two "servers":
- A 192.168.0.1
- B 192.168.0.2
and two "clients"
- C 192.168.0.10
- D 192.168.0.11

Now let's add the "shared" CARP IP 192.168.0.3 (vhid 1) to server A and
server B and start sniffing on C and D.

If C or D talks with A or B using their own IP (192.168.0.1/192.168.0.2)
the other client does not see that traffic (as is to be expected on a
switched network).
However if any client talks with the CARP IP (192.168.0.3) every node on
the LAN can sniff that traffic!

I tracked this down to the switch not learning the MAC address
00:00:5e:00:01:01 (which is what CARP vhid 1 uses), so every outgoing
packet is broadcast to the whole network.
Is this normal???

Changing to any other VHID (I tried 2, 4 and 10) does not show the same
problem, as 00:00:5e:00:01:xx will show up in the switch MAC database.

I'm scrapping my head trying to find an explanation, but so far I could
only think the switch is misbehaving.
Or am I missing some info and there's a reason for this?

  bye & Thanks
	av.