Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:58:53 +0200
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
Subject:   Re: probs on 6.2-prerelease

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:08:26AM -0400, Michael Proto wrote:
> Michael Vince wrote:

> > I don't know if this is pre 6.2 specific but I changed my /etc/tty for
> > device ttyd0 to 'on' from 'off' and when I rebooted the pc I couldn't
> > login via regular KVM console, just don't get a login.
> > The more alarming thing was that while it appeared everything was
> > booting up from the boot up messages on the screen, I couldn't remotely
> > log into the server in fact it appears the machine didn't bring up the
> > Ethernet device as I couldn't even ping it.
> > As soon as I switched the ttyd0 back to 'off' and rebooted it I could
> > ssh back into the server etc.
> > I have a regular kernel and 1 jail and samba on this machine.

> I know this isn't a "yes I'm having problems" response but thought it
> might be useful anyway.

> I'm running 6.2-pre on a Soekris Engineering Net4501 with ttyd0 enabled
> in /etc/ttys and I'm not having any problems with the system booting or
> logging in via serial console. SSH logins work fine and the network is
> brought-up as normal during boot. I've had this system in the same
> config (in regards to /etc/ttys) since the 6 was still the HEAD branch
> and I have yet to see problems with it. One difference here is that I
> don't have any virtual consoles enabled BUT ttyd0 (and
> pseudo-terminals), as this box doesn't have a video card, just a serial
> port.

I can also report no problems running 6.2-pre on i686.  I am running on
several machines, using serial consoles, machines _with_ video cards,
but mostly unused (one machine has a KVM connected, and it works fine,
as well.  No problems with video, no problems with network, no problems
with ssh login, etc.

-greg

FreeBSD xxx.xxx.com 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #21: Tue Sep 19 19:37:00 CEST 2006     root@xxx.xxx.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XXXX  i386

/etc/ttys:
[...]
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm   on  secure
[...]

/boot/loader.conf
[...]
console=comconsole