Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merit radius detail files?

According to Ulf Zimmermann:

> The local diffs are not so much you software itself, it is just where
> the software installs. The default on FreeBSD is /usr/local. But a
> person might choose /opt. He can set that global. The patches in
> the port basicly take care of changing the Makefile of your
> software and any source files which maybe have hard coded file names.

I use /usr/local/ most places as well.  For historical reasons, the
Merit AAA Server uses /usr/private/etc by default.  Most, if not all,
of our file name references are guarded and hence overridable.

> A patch might also fix compile warnings or errors, but that depends
> on the software.

I try hard to ensure that each release compiles cleanly without warnings
or errors on all of the platforms we do support (I also do a special
FreeBSD build even though we do not -- yet -- officially support the
FreeBSD platform -- remember, I told you that I like FreeBSD -- a lot!)

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ Reuters, London, February 29, 1998: Scientists have announced discovering ]
[ a meteorite which will strike the earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX ]
[ coders expressed relief for being spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038. ]