Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:53:57 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        Charlie Finan <chf@bear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DSL, PPPoE, SBC/SNET

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 04:16:57PM -0400, Charlie Finan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some setup advice.  I'm running 3.5R and have 2 NICs.  My
> internal net is setup just fine and if I use ppp to a dialup to my
> ISP, I have not sweat connecting and working.  Now, DSL is available
> and I just got the setup hardware from them.  I've installed the DSL
> modem (Efficient Networks 5260) and connected it to my slow (10Mb) nic
> with a crossover cable.  I see the ethernet is there light, so that's
> ok.
>
> Now for the questions.  I'm unclear how to get the pppoe side working
> and how to get the packets over to my internal net.  I see the option
> in the rc.conf to use the pppoed to start ppp with an isp_name
> argument.  This looks like the right way to go.  I still want to be
> able to get the dialup connect until I'm comfortable that the DSL will
> work.  So, do I make a second ppp (ln -s ppp ppp1) and set it up in
> syslog.conf and newsyslog.conf for logging?
>
> Then, once I connect, can I use ppp's internal nat and ip-rules or do
> I need to go through setting up natd and ipfw? (My kernel is already
> set with the IPFIREWALL & NETGRAPH options.)
>
> Any advice would be greatly apprectiated!!!!
>
> Charlie

The recipe for PPPoE is at
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/pppoe.html>, and doesn't involve
pppoed, which is for being a PPPoE server. You need to be a client,
which uses the ppp client software.

Keep your dialup configuration in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file; add the
PPPoE configuration as a separate label. Say your dialup configuration
is labeled "dialup:" and the PPPoE is labeled "ether:". Then you would
invoke PPP for dialup with:

ppp -ddial -nat -quiet dialup

And you would invoke PPPoE with:

ppp -ddial -nat -quiet ether
--
Fred Condo + fred@condo.chico.ca.us
This above all -- to thine own self be true. -- Wm. Shakespeare