Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 16:29:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Mounting dos partitions

I'm having some trouble trying to figure out how to get some of
my dos partitions mounted, and before I waste a lot of time
trying to figure out what is going on, I figured I'd ask first.

I currently have two SCSI hard disks, partitioned as so:

disk 0: the entire disk is my dos C drive (I can mount this drive
        without any problems using mount -t msdos /dev/sd0e /mnt)

disk1: the first 500MBs are an extended DOS partition, with two
       logical dos partitions inside it which are my DOS D & E drives.

       The last 500Mbs of the drive contain all of my FreeBSD filesystems.

What I haven't been able to do is figure out how to mount the DOS D & E
partitions under FreeBSD.  If I run 'fdisk' under FreeBSD on /dev/sd1d,
it correctly reports that there are two partitions, each being 500Mbs.
Running fdisk on /dev/sd1e correctly identifies my two logical DOS
partitions and their layout.

Examining the mount code in sys/msdosfs/* seems to indicate that it
is expecting a boot block on the disk and isn't finding it.  I have
tried doing a "sys d:" from DOS to transfer the system (and hopefully
a good boot block), but that didn't seem to help.

Is there something obvious I'm overlooking, or does the msdos mount
code need to be modified to understand the extended/logical DOS
partition stuff?
--
Mike Pritchard
pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu