Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 22:25:32 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, empey@plato2.ml.org
Subject:   Re: DNS problem

On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 06:02:32PM -0800, Steve Howe wrote:

> > > integral.on.ca  A       24.112.14.35
> >
> > You didn't say what wasn't working, but you're missing a period after
> > integral.on.ca in the SOA (twice) and in the A record.
>
> can someone clarify whether this is correct?
> i don't think he is missing a "." in the A record.

I can verify that I'm correct. Without the "." the default origin (or another
origin if you've defined one) is appended to the name. So unless he's trying to
give integral.on.ca.integral.on.ca an address, he needs a "."

That's why you can have records like:

www	A	24.112.14.35

Since there's no dot, the domain gets appended to the www.

Chris