Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:44:28 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rick Duvall" <maillist@coastsight.com>
Cc:        "duane jones" <dljones@sccoast.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: No Subject

There are 56K terminal servers (Ascend MAX 1800 for example) that
don't require T1's to interface, they will use ISDN BRI circuits.
In fact, I just bought one of these off Ebay (item #1222362943) for
$400.  I had to get the digital modem card but that was only $900.
The setup works beautifully for providing 56K V.90 and ISDN indial.
(Yes, we have Real PRI-based terminal servers, this was for a special
deal that required this kind of setup)

If he's in a small town out in the sticks, and
 _he_knows_what_the_hell_he's_doing_
then he can set up a small ISP with a handful of dialup ports
that will support 56K and ISDN indial and provide a much valued
service to the community - and will NOT cost $4K a month with a
$12K startup cost.

You also don't need a full blown T1 to feed such a setup, a fractional
circuit will do, even 56K point-to-point or Frame Relay is quite
satisfactory.  He could probably haul a long-distance 56K Frame connection
from AT&T for about $400 a month and with a MAX fully configured his BRI
costs
are guing to probably run him another $400, so you can put down a
recurring cost of maybe around $7-900 and by going with BRI's you can add
them as you need them, so your egress costs can track your userbase.

Assuming 3 year circuit commitals, you can start up a small ISP out in
the tulaberries for maybe $3K startup costs if your very careful in your
purchasing.  With a setup like I described you could easily serve 200 users
off a fully deployed MAX and @ $20 a month per head, you could make enough
to live off, assuming you own your property and grow your own vegetables.

There's quite valid business models for small rural ISP's for people with
the stomach to sign a 36 month circuit contract (which obligates you to
$14,000 over 3 years, BTW) and the wherewithall to bugger their local Telco
to deliver the circuits.  This is why I get enraged when I see governmental
money thrown away on "delivering Internet to the rural areas" because
the rural areas don't need money for this, they can be self-supporting, all
they need are experienced people to get in there and do the work.

Unfortunately, however, most of the folks out there attempting to start
ISP's
in their garages are NOT doing any kind of public service, instead
they are cheap bastards living in the middle of a major city that figure
they can get a DSL line and a few modem lines and with a little
work selling $9-a-month dialups they can get their Internet service
paid for free.  Needless to say these folks don't know thing one about
how an ISP operates and expect the collective wisdom of the Net to
tell them all the details.

If he really wants to start an ISP and doesen't know where to start
then there's nothing better than going and getting himself hired by
an ISP and working for them for a few years to gain some experience.