Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:09:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>, re@FreeBSD.org, Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 8258 for review

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 06:40:59AM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/chv.cgi?CH=8258
> >
> > Change 8258 by murray@murray_builder on 2002/03/23 06:40:09
> >
> > 	Revert r1.51, which turned on the AJ debugging options.
> > 	Suggested by: peter, rwatson, others
>
> I am VERY AGAINST this change.  What is the purpose of the DP then, if
> we are turning off all the debugging?  Remember part of this was to get
> current into more situations to improve testing coverage.  You are no
> longer producing something that is like -current.

This generates failures in applications that are not part of the base
system.  If we expect people to use this and generate useful debugging
feedback, we need them not to be reporting spurious failures in their own
applications, instead we need them running the applications and using
them.  Case in point: I turned on the AJ debugging features on a
production server a few weeks ago while I was upgrading sshd following the
reported vulnerability.  At least two third-party applications began
core-dumping on start, and system performance began to do bizarre things,
with the load sky-rocketing due to perl CGI's.  We are interested in
people finding real failure modes, not ones due to debugging.  We'll be
shipping a pre-compiled DEBUG kernel for people to try out when they
experience a problem and need to report the failure.  We can certainly
include AJ in the "how to make your system slow but easy to debug"
text.