Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 09:59:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su>
Cc:        McKusick <mckusick@chez.McKusick.COM>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5-STABLE softupdates brokeness: repeated panics and lockups

:
:On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 09:38:02PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:> :So I decided to turn softupdates off with tunefs on all of my filesystems.
:> :The root filesystem had softpupdates already turned off.
:>
:>     Did turning softupdates off solve the problem?
:
:No. It crashed again twice till now, but this time it could restart
:automatically. But now kernel panics are due page faults.
:This server has modem attached to /dev/cuaa0 and serves as my personal
:pppd dialin server. I dial from home using pppd,
:my home machine runs old FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE. I use PPP_DEFLATE.
:All crashes were when I was online from home.
:
:Here is the first time after softupdates turned off:

    Try turning off *ALL* in-kernel PPP options and use the userland-only
    ppp instead.

						-Matt