Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 01:32:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@server.iadfw.net>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: iozone read vs. write

In reply:
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:02:31 +0100
> From: "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> To: freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
> Subject: iozone read vs. write
>
> iozone 13 ...
>
> Writing the 13 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp'...15.085938 seconds
> Reading the file...4.000000 seconds
>
> IOZONE performance measurements:
> 	903589 bytes/second for writing the file
> 	3407872 bytes/second for reading the file
>
> Does anone have an explanation why the number diverge to such an extent?
> (System is a 32 MB 486DX2/66 EIDE 2 Quantum 540 system)

caching.  Try modifying the sources to change the number of iterations in
auto-mode.  I find on a 64 meg system that the read and write times
converge to hardware speed when it hits a file size of 32 megs.  The test
is essentially useless until you get past the cache, that is unless you
are measuring caching performance.

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or