Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:21:23 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: maxing out the 100Mb TX (full duplex)

mi@aldan.algebra.com said:
> Well, we have Intel's Express 510T  switch... I tried to grep the
> manual for "EtherChannel", it is not  there... But the switch looks
> impressive, so may be it is just called something else?

I know that Sun call this concept "trunking".  Other things you might
look for are, say, "port aggregation" or "bandwidth aggregation".

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to talk to your reseller or to
Intel support.

Be aware though that there are two models (that I know of) for doing
this--one just cycles through the interfaces sending one packet on each
in turn (such as ng_one2many does); the other performs an XOR of the
last n bits of the source and destination MAC addresses to select the
interface the packet should travel through (this is the one most Cisco
equipment supports).

Sun support either.  Cisco generally support only the second, though the
switches they acquired from Kalpana only support the first (so yes, you
can have two Cisco switches that can't EtherChannel).  The last time I
looked FreeBSD could only support the first (through ng_one2many).

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319