Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:56:00 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Hamel" <los_alamos@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPPoE and sound card issues

Hi all,

I have two separate problems that I'm having with FreeBSD.  I'm running
4.0 CURRENT (July of 99) and am trying to enable support for both my sound
card and my DSL connection.  I read the How-to's and tried to configure my
own kernel.  However, I can't even seem to get beyond this step.  config
reports syntax errors on

device    pcm
and
device    sbc

(I'm using an ESS 1868 PnP ISA card, which is supposed to be supported).
The second issue is the DSL connection.  Since its running on PPPoE, I have
to compile in NETGRAPH support.  However, config KERNEL
returns with

option NETGRAPH unknown.

What I don't understand is that since these things are supposed to have been
supported since at LEAST 3.3, why won't they work under 4.0?
Just in case this is of any relevance (though I doubt it), the ethernet card
I'm using is a Macronix, detected as device mx0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jon