Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:27:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com (Guido van Rooij)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, jgreco@solaria.sol.net, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, core@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6+++: crt0.c CRITICAL CHANGE

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > It does work. I tested it on a life system. However, as stated earlier,
> > it should check for immutable and append only flags and react accordingly.
>
> OK.  Is anyone making those changes? :-)
>
> I should note that this kind of solution is kinda scarey in that we'll
> have to document the heck out of it before we can ever unleash it on
> the general public without getting back a flood of "Augh!  I nuked my
> system!  Nothing runs now!!" reports.  Is there enough committment
> here for making it into that kind of solution? ;)

It is in fact a simple system. It checks at the exact locations in the binary
and checks every byte that is constant. See the source. If it isn't somehow
recognised, it will skip it (like e.g. shell scripts). But I agree it should be
reviewed by a *lot* of ppl. Especially Bruce ;-)

I'll try to see if I can make the cgflags(2) stuff later today.

Further, perhaps we should make an lfix for different versions of the OS
as well (I'm not sure if the program can be applied to 2.0.5 e.g.)

-Guido