Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:26:49 -0600
From:      "Matt Bettinger" <mattb@finsyn.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ipfw relies on ipfilter?

Hello,

I need some clarification about this IPf and ipfw.  I keep getting mixed
information  it seems like the more i read the more confused i get.  I have
had people try and help me and all i get  are discrepancies.  People tell me
there are good manuals out there but they just confuse me more.  Take this
one for example  off of securify.com...

How to build a BSD firewall using ipfilter. Covers everything from kernel
config to allowing
              traffic. Homepage here. By Larry W. Cashdollar

Larry W. Cashdollar
11/12/99 Rev 1.0
                        Setting up a FreeBSD firewall
                                using ipfw.  <<----- i thought we  were
doing IPFilter?

1) You will need to add some options to your kernel config in order to
proceed.  If you have never rebuilt your kernel please refer to the
FreeBSD documentation at www.freebsd.org for more information.

2) Add the following options to your kernel config file
options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall   <<<<<------ options for
IPFW and IPFilter
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
options         IPFILTER                #kernel ipfilter support
<<<<-------    eh?????
options         IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging

#options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT #allow everything by default

i'm at a total loss here.  I guess i just need a breather...  I been at this
for a week now.  I looked at the manual from freebsd.org dialup firewall,  i
followed that exactly with the exception of changing my interface  to ppp0.
I am on a dialup 56k modem   ppp0,  cuaa0,  user ppp.  I am having the
hardest time for some reason just trying to get something that works.
Please dont point me to the list serve archives i have looked there and
really don't see much about the actual rules.

I guess first of all  I'm confused as  to which one to use, right now i
really don't see that much of a difference so i guess i'll use IPFilter.  I
don't need any crazy rulesets as this is just a dialup i would like to
return RST for port 113.  Again i am on a dilaup connection i don't
understand if i should be using natd or what have you.  Do i need to be
using natd ?  Someone was helping me and told me to add dummynet and
bridging and all these things that are over my head, and don't appear
necessary with this simple lame-o dialup....   help?

Matt