Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:33:10 -0800
From:      Ravi Pokala <rpokala@mac.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hopefully useful: macro-controlled logger

Hi Eric,

> Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 11:52:10 -0500
> From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
> To: "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Hopefully useful: macro-controlled logger
>
> Hi folks,

> Anyway, on a recent flight I decided to implement a macro-controlled
> logging API in earnest.
>
> The github project can be found here: https://github.com/emc2/mcl

0) The README should be a bit more informative. ;-)

1) Since we're adding SPDX tags for licenses, you should do that too. ;-)

2) Thanks for proper (Doxygen? JavaDoc?) comments! I wish more files included at least a file-level overview of the type of stuff in the file.

3) Since LOG_LVL_<level> are integer values and not a bitmap, couldn't they be converted to an enum? That would also allow for adding new levels between existing levels, without having to re-number everything.

4) Hrm. Although that doesn't really help the fact that you'd still have to add the definition of the LOG_<level> macro. Since they're all the same, it would be nice if they too could be generated. But that's where you get into doing multiple levels of the preprocessor, and things can get incomprehensible fast. :-/

5) I think LOG_SYSTEM is poor wording -- when I first read it, I assumed it meant for differentiating between logging via printf() or via log(); I think LOG_MODULE would more clearly communicate that it's for differentiating between software modules.

6) That having been said, it would be useful if there was a way to select the log output destination.

I hope you find that feedback useful.

-Ravi (rpokala@)