Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 2020 06:29:41 -0700
From:      Josh Howard <bsd@zeppelin.net>
To:        Vincent Milum Jr <freebsd-arm@darkain.com>
Cc:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: big.LITTLE status for rk3399/rockpro64?

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 08:18:53 -0700,
Vincent Milum Jr wrote:

> I can confirm that USB Mass Storage causes kernel panics ~50% of the time.
> This happens during detection/initialization of the device.
> Leaving the drive in during boot has the same chance of panic.
> It is not 100%, as sometimes I can get the drive to register and use it.
> I've yet to see any other USB device have an issue though.
> I'm actively using a USB-3 hub with keyboard, mouse, and ethernet without
> issue.
>

> >  On rockpro64 it was (it's been a while since I've tested) very easy to
> > trigger a panic doing anything usb related (sometimes just inserting a
> > usb thumb drive would triggers it). This is why I've disabled the big
> > cores on the rockpro64 image.
> >
> > --
> > Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>

Attempting to use a USB3 drive does seem to lead to panics / hangs / generally
bad behavior when combined with ncpu > 4. Are there any current leads as to
what's behind the behavior?  Any relation to the RPI4 issues in the other
threads? I've noticed USB drives on my RPI4 also exhibit somewhat similar
behavior.