Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 12:21:04 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/i386 locore.s swtch.s sys/i386/include  pmap.h

Nate Williams wrote:
> > > Processors:   APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Fla
    gs
> > >                0       0x11    BSP, usable     5       2       1       0x
    07bf
> > >                1       0x11    AP, usable      5       2       1       0x
    07bf
> > >                                                               ^^^
> > > without problems (that I'm aware of).
> >
> > I think Step 6 was where they fixed the FPU divide bug..  (I saw a
> > reference to this on "The Ultimate Chip list" or something like that)
>
> Nope, I've got a Stepping 5 P100 chip here and it's work fine (been
> tested and everything).

Well, that's what I suspected too.  I had only seen step 1, 5 and much
higher.  I wondered if there was a mistake in the list and in fact it was
step 5 that fixes it.  (I have P5-90 Step 1 cpus btw)

BTW, does anybody have the code to test for the fdiv bug?  I looked in the
linux kernel to see what it tests (since the fdiv bug is listed in
/proc/cpuinfo), and discovered that the linux (2.0.x last time I looked)
kernel doesn't even test it!! it simply sets the value to "no".  What a
crock!  (.. unless I missed the test..)

> Nate

Cheers,
-Peter