Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 02:05:06 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@I23.EU.org>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptop credit card modem & emacs fails

Ken Seggerman (suleyman) écrit/writes:

> The credit card modem is successfully probed at boot time as zp
> Xircom-credit card modem slot 0, but there is no zp in /dev/. MAKEDEV does
> not recognize zp.

	There is no zp -- it's just a device name.  What you need
	to find out is which "COM port" it's using -- on FreeBSD
	that'd be cuaa0/ttyd0 or cuaa1/ttyd1.

> pkg_add installed emacs, but it does not work. ld.so fails to find some
> shared resource. It looks as if emacs expects XFree86 to be installed, and
> needs one of its resourses.

	Probably is linked with the X stuff.

> pkg_add worked on uemacs. I would like to have regular emacs, but don't
> have room for X.

> Any suggestions?

	Build Emacs from the port -- if X is not installed, or you tell
	it at configure time not to use X, then it won't include X support.

	Otherwise, emacs -nw will start in non-window mode, even under X (in
	the xterm you're runnin).

--
							-- Phil

-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 33241690 ]-