Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 02:37:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Haider Roland <r.haider@liwest.at>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Supported RAID Controller?

> Hi!
>
> We are buying new servers and i have the honor to find a decent
> RAID controller.
> Unfortunately i couldn't find the controllers that are on our suppliers
> list (ICP Vortex, Adaptec) on the list in the handbook (or am i just
> too blind?).

Adaptec aren't willing to share documentation on their RAID controllers
with anyone (not that we haven't tried to convince them otherwise).
I'm looking at writing an ICP Vortex driver at some point fairly
shortly, once I've been able to get my hands on some hardware to work
with.

At this point in time, your best option is to use an external SCSI:SCSI
RAID controller from eg. CMD or Mylex.  Hopefully before 3.4 is out we
will have support for the PCI:SCSI controllers from Mylex and AMI.