Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:41:59 -0500
From:      Chris Lydon <slyd@ids.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3C589D and 5.0 install problems

Hello,

I am trying to do a net install of FreeBSD 5.0-Release.
I am using the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp images I downloaded
from ftp6.freebsd.org. The kernel floppy loads fine then asks
for the mfsroot. mfsroot loads fine and asks if I want to load
any additional drivers, I say no. It goes into the normal
installation menus but after picking what ftp server I want to
install from, and giving me a list of devices to use it doesn't
show my NIC. I have a 3Com EtherLink III (3C589D) NIC
and I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDT. I have
disabled CardBus support in the BIOS (changing it to PCIC)
if that helps. Its wierd that the card doesn't work because
it has worked since like 4.5 atleast probably earlier. Anyway,
is there something that I am missing that I need to do for
this card to work with the 5.0 sysinstall? Or is there a way that
I can add drivers for this card to the driver disk (drivers.flp)?

Chris Lydon
slyd@ids.net