Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:04:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        tadayuki@mediaone.net
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On 31 Jan, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:

>> > And I don't know if he has such intention.
>>
>> Yes, it is  pretty easy. The comment  can be modified to  "Note that lib
>> can be a regular expression".
> Please try it first.

Try what? Modifying the comment? Modifying the code (in bsd.port.mk)?

>> I don't  understand the need  for the  knob nor its  specification. What
>> will it look like? A boolean? A list?
> This is the example for ports/graphics/gd.
>
> .if defined(IGNORE_SHLIB_VER)
> LIB_DEPENDS=    jpeg:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/jpeg \
>                 png:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/png \
>                 freetype:${PORTSDIR}/print/freetype2
> .else
> LIB_DEPENDS=    jpeg.9:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/jpeg \
>                 png.5:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/png \
>                 freetype.8:${PORTSDIR}/print/freetype2
> .endif

This is WAY to  inelegant, IMO. It would look better  to have a separate
list of libraries, where the major number can (optionally) be ignored:

	LIB_DEPENDS=	jpeg.10:...
	LIB_DEPENDS_ANY_VERSION= png.8

The  bsd.port.mk can  then, depending  on the  IGNORE_SHLIB_VER setting,
simply  append  LIB_DEPENDS_ANY_VERSION  to  LIB_DEPENDS  or  strip  the
version numbers first.

But my proposal is about more than just version numbers. The name of the
library (as in the ``tcl8[2-9]'' case,  for example) can also be treated
as a regexp.

>> Plenty.  Almost anything,  that depends  on  jpeg, png,  pbm, Tcl  --
>> whatever else is in /usr/local/lib...

> But it doesn't mean their maintainers want it.

We did not ask :-) And the length of this discussion prevents reasonable
people from joining now, I'm afraid...

>> > I don't think  portmgr will accept such patch  without obvious demand.
>> > So I think 'ifdef' is only answer for now.
>>
>> Build it, and they will come.
> If other maintainers want it.

"Features,  not  policy".  I  proposed  a  new  feature  for  the  ports
maintainers... Will it be popular? Only time will tell.

	-mi